Plat Approval Process

Subdividing & the Platting Process

Interested in subdividing your land? Before getting down to business, you should speak with the Zoning Office.

Our staff will make sure you have the required road frontage, correct zoning classification and jurisdiction. Once this is complete, you'll need to hire a land surveyor to develop a subdivision plan. You'll submit that plan for initial review, which helps avoid costly changes later.

Now you're ready to obtain all required signatures for the plat. Here's the order you'll want to follow:

  1. Washington County Highway Department
  2. Washington County 911 Addressing
  3. Water (if applicable)
  4. Sewer or septic (TDEC)
  5. All owners of the property sign the plat as well as the surveyor

Tips for Septic Approval

To receive a signature from TDEC, a High Intensity Soil Map is required. You can get this map through a private soil scientist.