Robert D. Arnold was appointed Sessions Judge in 2013 by the Board of County Commissioners. A Tennessee native, Arnold graduated from East Tennessee State University and went on to pursue his law degree at the University of Tennessee College of Law, where he graduated in 1967.
Arnold received his Tennessee law license in 1967 and was in practice with a private local firm from 1967 until 2011.
Arnold has been a member of numerous associations and served in various capacities throughout his career:
- Member of the Tennessee Bar Association 1968 to Present
- Member of the Federal Bar Association 2007 to 2011
- Appointed by the Johnson City Board of Commissioners to serve as Chairman 2003 to 2005
- Member of the American Board of Trial Advocates 2000 to 2010
- Member of the Public Building Authority Board of Directors 1998 to 2005
- Member of the Johnson City Housing Authority Board of Directors 1993 to 2003
- Elected to the Tennessee State Senate 1986 to 1990
- Served on the Board of Directors for the Tennessee Trial Lawyers Association 1985 to 1988
- Serving in the House of Delegates in 1980
- Served as Mayor of Johnson City 1977 to 1978
- Member of the Johnson City Board of Commissioners 1975 to 1979
- Served as President of the Washington County Bar Association 1972 to 1973
- Appointed by the Johnson City Board of Commissioners to serve two terms as Chairman